Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Male/Female Thing

Once again, the man/woman divide in Movieland.

... A few weeks ago at work, I spoke my mind and gave my opinion in a clear and no-bullshit way; no aggression, just blunt. The man I was working with (actually, he was working for me) said, “Whoa! We’re all on the same team here!” As if I was yelling at him. I was so shocked because nothing that I said was personal, offensive, or, to be honest, wrong. All I hear and see all day are men speaking their opinions, and I give mine in the same exact manner, and you would have thought I had said something offensive.

I’m over trying to find the “adorable” way to state my opinion and still be likable! Fuck that. I don’t think I’ve ever worked for a man in charge who spent time contemplating what angle he should use to have his voice heard. It’s just heard. ...

This could be various female board artists I know speaking, or designers, or even directors (the few of them that there are.) But in the case above, it's Jennifer Lawrence, rich movie star.

Some men in the business will take one kind of behavior from fellow males, but a different one from women. Happily it's not all men, but enough own a double standard that it sometimes becomes a point of contention.

0 comments:

Site Meter