Friday, April 17, 2015

Daffy's Creation

Cribbing from President Emeritus Stio's Facebook page ...

April 17, 1937 "Porky's Duck Hunt" The birth of Daffy Duck. Directed by Tex Avery and animated by Bob Clampett.

One legendary story is that newly-hired voice actor Mel Blanc in part designed Daffys distinctive lisp to be an impression of the Looney Tunes boss Leon Schlensinger. When they screened this cartoon all the artists stood in dread of how Leon would take the joke. Leon never made the connection that the Ducks voice was an imitation of him:" Gee Fellers, dat Duck iz pretty Ffffunny!" ...



This clip has NOTHING to do with the '37 cartoon. It's simply amusing.

Regarding "new hire" Mel Blanc, a veteran Hanna-Barbera director told me the following:

I was directing Mel Blanc on an H-B show for the first time and was in awe. When we took a break, he and I walked outside and I said, "Mr. Blanc, this is such an honor, you've done such terrific work. Al those epic Warner Brothers cartoons ..."

That was as far as I got. Mr. Blanc went red and shouted: "Warner brothers?! Don't talk to me about Warner Brothers! They screwed me! SCREWED me!!" ...

I shut up and changed the subject. ...

So the fond memories we have of old cartoons? Sometimes the talent that made the memories owns a recollection of something else entirely.

0 comments:

Site Meter